Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Fuse Member

Pretty interesting that just about anyone who is on the island is a candidate.

I'm starting to think that the cave with the names is smokey's list and the lighthouse belongs to Jacob and Jacob doesn't want smokey to use it and that's why he has Jack go there and smash the mirrors.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucholza View Post
I'm not sure if there will be a higher power than Jacob/Smokey, but I could see them going that direction. It will be interesting to see who exactly is coming to the island - so many possible directions they could take, but if I had to guess I'd say it will be someone we have never seen before or, a more far out guess, is it will be a boat of kids from the other timeline (Jack's son, samurai guy's kid, claire's baby, Sun's baby, Sawyer's kid)
With the child that smokey and some others can see there must be some higher power for the island i'd guess. Remember the skeletons in season 1 with the white and black stones, that was Smokey/Jacob? Smokey says he was a man once. I assume that they came to the island in some similar way in the past. Jacob mostly just seems to give the candidates a push in the direction he wants them to go. He first says that he wants to help "them" get to the island to Hugo, then he tells him it's ok Hugo Jack just needed a push so it was ok he broke the mirrors. So are there more people coming or not? Not sure yet. If there are a "next batch" the kids thing might be possible but doesn't seem to be(i know it's just a random guess). It seems like this batch is almost over and one of them will become the "next Jacob", then maybe another batch will begin "the kids" or something else if that's the direction they go if they were to even go that route. Remember that Jack's number is 23 so he is the Michael Jordan of Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
Lostpedia seems to have a pretty comprehensive list of names:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Candidates
Noticed the names on the dial and they made me wonder more about if Jacob was simply pushing Jack to break the mirrors for more than one purpose. I mean he tells Hugo about giving Jack the nudge he needs, but it seems like more. Haasea, Kysea the two names not crossed out, names are sorta similar. If more people are trying to get to the island maybe they are the people.

Quote:
Pretty interesting that just about anyone who is on the island is a candidate.

I'm starting to think that the cave with the names is smokey's list and the lighthouse belongs to Jacob and Jacob doesn't want smokey to use it and that's why he has Jack go there and smash the mirrors.
Might be possible.

So Smokey is recuiting. They say that Sawyer is his first recuit, but notice at the end of the episode that Claire tells Jin that Smokey is her friend. So Jarrah is infected but the darkness that consumes him isn't to his heart yet so he's not "taken over or Smokey's puppet yet?", but Claire is "taken over or Smokey's puppet" due to the darkness reaching her heart long ago? So is Claire a "past recuit or current one" of Smokey's or just one of his minions cause of the whole darkness thing.

I can't wait to see where they go with the whole David part(Jack's son in the flash sideway).

Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Fuse Member

I agree that there are other powers on the island, like that kid, but I don't know if I want to commit to saying that they're necessarily "higher" powers.

As far as those two bodies in the cave go, I suppose that could be their bodies, but I have a problem with that being true when Jacob gets stabbed by Ben, bleeds, and his body burns away in a fire and turns to ash.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I think nuch is right that the cave is not Jacobs list. Curious as to if the names are the same between the two.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
I agree that there are other powers on the island, like that kid, but I don't know if I want to commit to saying that they're necessarily "higher" powers.

As far as those two bodies in the cave go, I suppose that could be their bodies, but I have a problem with that being true when Jacob gets stabbed by Ben, bleeds, and his body burns away in a fire and turns to ash.
Yeah about Jacob's body. I just wonder when they shed their actual bodies(If they even did). Was it right there in the foot of the statue for Jacob? Cause Smokey says he was a man once, which he makes sound like it was long ago, plus he is currently Locke, which makes me wonder about the whole thing about the body changing for Smokey. Hey maybe his body is stored somewhere and he can go back to it somehow. Maybe they aren't actually men anymore but they have their physical bodies.

Ok lol this is going places now, i'm gonna stop on this one.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Fuse Member

My guess would be that they time traveled so much with the island that they "lost" their humanity and became the keepers or whatever of the island. I'd be surprised if this included actually shedding their physical forms and leaving corpses behind.

A simple explanation to all the hieroglyphics would be that Jacob/Smokey were originally from that time period and that's how they used to communicate and learned english/other languages over the incredibly long period of time they've been "alive", or rather trapped. But, I'd like to think there's a more complex and beautiful explanation to all the hieroglyphics than that.

I wonder how long Jacob/Smokey have actually been on the island for. There's ash on the island before Jacob dies which would indicate prior keepers. Maybe they keep reliving the same time period over and over until one of them is able to "win". Each time they redo the same time period they gain more knowledge of the candidates and they're able to manipulate them even more. So then the alternate timeline we're seeing where 815 didn't crash is a failed attempt that was just "progress" and Jacob/Smokey used the island to go back in time and start over. Who knows how many times that's happened and that's why when the losties see each other outside the island they get a sense of familiarity.

But I guess that doesn't make much sense when we saw that Jack suddenly had his appendix missing in the alternate time line and can't remember having the surgery done. Maybe Jacob/Smokey have turned back time so much that parts of the time lines are beginning to blend/mesh together into one or something.

I was pretty bored in class today so I just kept thinking about lost lol

Something else to note is remember how Farraday kept saying that to get to and from the island you had to make sure you kept a bearing of 305? I wonder if that's because the dial in the lighthouse was set to 305? or does that number have some sort of other significance or none at all?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
My guess would be that they time traveled so much with the island that they "lost" their humanity and became the keepers or whatever of the island. I'd be surprised if this included actually shedding their physical forms and leaving corpses behind.

A simple explanation to all the hieroglyphics would be that Jacob/Smokey were originally from that time period and that's how they used to communicate and learned english/other languages over the incredibly long period of time they've been "alive", or rather trapped. But, I'd like to think there's a more complex and beautiful explanation to all the hieroglyphics than that.

I wonder how long Jacob/Smokey have actually been on the island for. There's ash on the island before Jacob dies which would indicate prior keepers. Maybe they keep reliving the same time period over and over until one of them is able to "win". Each time they redo the same time period they gain more knowledge of the candidates and they're able to manipulate them even more. So then the alternate timeline we're seeing where 815 didn't crash is a failed attempt that was just "progress" and Jacob/Smokey used the island to go back in time and start over. Who knows how many times that's happened and that's why when the losties see each other outside the island they get a sense of familiarity.

But I guess that doesn't make much sense when we saw that Jack suddenly had his appendix missing in the alternate time line and can't remember having the surgery done. Maybe Jacob/Smokey have turned back time so much that parts of the time lines are beginning to blend/mesh together into one or something.

I was pretty bored in class today so I just kept thinking about lost lol

Something else to note is remember how Farraday kept saying that to get to and from the island you had to make sure you kept a bearing of 305? I wonder if that's because the dial in the lighthouse was set to 305? or does that number have some sort of other significance or none at all?
Good theory about the time travel part for Jacob/Smokey. Also about how it might be possible to be playing the time periods over and over. Remember how some of the people that were on the island died from time traveling to much? Could explain how Jacob/Smokey lost their physical bodies possibly. Jacob did always know when to intervene in the candidates lives when they were children to steer them to the island. I would think with the power they have they could time travel. However, i don't think Richard could time travel cause he was always trying to figure out who the people were that went back in time and tryed to explain things to him(Locke for example). Richard is an advisor, but i'd still like to know how deep he fits into this whole story.

It might be possible that Jacob/Smokey been around that long(egyptian times). This was a question Asano and I through around some, but we have no answer. If there were prior keepers it makes me wonder how long Jacob has been a keeper for, and how long has he been trying to find a replacement. I'm not sure if they are trying to "win" something, but Smokey has found ways around the "rules", and just seems to want to escape now(possibly cause he couldn't "win"). So maybe Jacob was to keep Smokey trapped there for all time or something else.

Something else, at times the island just seems like a test. Even more so when you have the child say things like you can't break the rules.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I'm really confidet we'll find out that Jacob and smokey are from the future. I'd be really suprised if they are from ancient Egypt.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
The Real McCoy

wasn't there a scene once when the "feet statue" was a whole statue and jacob and some other dude where having a conversation by it?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
wasn't there a scene once when the "feet statue" was a whole statue and jacob and some other dude where having a conversation by it?
I don't remember if anyone was talking by it, but yeah there was a scene of the statue whole and it looked like Anubis. And the whole ankh thing Hurley brought to the temple that shows up in a few other places are connected to the whole Egyptian theme.